No playing with Gregarius and Thunderbird tonight – I got my spiffy new AMD Athlon64 3800+ X2 processor, so that’s been the order of tonight’s play! Sitting on an ASRock system board, with 2GB PC3200 DDR RAM makes it a pretty decent system I suppose!
Since my main desktop is Ubuntu, thought I may as well stick with it, and the 64-bit version of Kubuntu has gone on very smoothly indeed. Picked up the on-board network without a problem, and worked fine with the Audigy2 sound card. The ATI drivers have installed quickly once the system was up and running, as did ndiswrapper for my wireless card.
Running Firefox in 32-bit mode isn’t a big problem and performance probably won’t really be noticeable anyways, and the same method of wrapping it within a script for 32-bit compatibility works for Thunderbird. Both of these have been upgraded to 1.5 – details for upgrading Firefox and Thunderbird for those running older versions.
I’m also running the amd64-k8-smp kernel to take advantage of the dual-core processor which wasn’t installed by default (just the generic amd64 kernel), and that’s worked without any major problems that other people seem to have ran into such as incorrect time-keeping, bizarre behaviour under X11 and driver incompatibility. The only thing I’ve so been unable to get running is Amarok 1.4-beta2 which I had working before, though I suspect the dependency problems I’m running into may be caused by running the 64-bit binaries. Will do some digging tomorrow.
Too early to really tell how well the system is performing, as it hasn’t even come close to being pushed, but is definately a lot, lot faster than my previous XP2800+. Installing new packages and compiling from source is frighteningly fast though I did have a chuckle the first time the system loaded and an error message was thrown from the sound server – “CPU overload” 😀